Vertical blinds are a popular window treatment that can enhance the look of any room. But like any home furnishing, they require regular care and cleaning to keep them looking their best. Dust, dirt, pet hair, and other debris can build up on the vinyl, fabric, or aluminum slats over time. Follow this guide to learn the quick and simple way to clean vertical blinds efficiently.
Why Regular Cleaning is Important
Cleaning vertical blinds every 1-2 months keeps them free of dust, allergens, and dirt. This helps them function optimally and extends their lifespan. Benefits include:
Assemble Cleaning Supplies
Before getting started, gather these recommended cleaning tools and supplies:
- Microfiber Cloth – Great for dusting and wiping down blinds. The microfiber grabs and traps dust and dirt particles.
- Vacuum with Brush Attachment – Use the brush to lift and dislodge dust and debris from the slats. The vacuum sucks it up.
- Damp Cloth – For a deeper clean, use a cloth dampened with water and a small amount of mild detergent. Avoid harsh cleaners.
- Toothbrush or Cleaning Wand – For stubborn areas, use a soft-bristle toothbrush or specialized blind cleaning wand.
- Stain Remover – For tough spots or stains, use a mild stain remover made for vinyl or fabric, depending on the slat material. Test first.
Step-by-Step Cleaning Your Vertical Blinds
With your supplies gathered, follow these steps:
Cleaning Different Slat Materials
Vertical blind slats come in different materials that require slightly different care:
- Vinyl – Wipe vinyl slats down using only mild detergent mixed with water. Harsh cleaners can damage the material.
- Fabric – Use a vacuum attachment and/or microfiber cloth to remove dust and debris from fabric slats. For deeper cleaning, use mild detergent and water. Allow to air dry fully.
- Aluminum – Aluminum slats can be wiped down with mild detergent and water. For water spots, use a solution of equal parts vinegar and water.
- Wood – Wipe wood slats with a microfiber cloth dampened with wood cleaner or mild soap and water. Wipe with the wood grain and dry immediately.
Professional Blind Cleaning
For those short on time, professional blind cleaning services use specialized tools and methods for deep cleaning. This includes ultrasonic cleaning that removes dirt and restores the blinds’ appearance. Expect costs between $.50 to $1.00 per slat, or $30 to $50 per blind depending on the size, condition and type or by the linear foot at a rate of $5 to $15 per blind.
Maintain Cleanliness Between Deep Cleans
To keep dirt and dust from accumulating too quickly:
- Dust or vacuum weekly.
Use a ceiling fan to keep air circulating.
- Change furnace and AC filters regularly.
- Keep windows shut during high winds and storms.
- Rearrange furniture to avoid blocking vents and airflow.
- Vacuum and dust window sills and curtains where dust collects.
DIY Cleaning Tips and Tricks
- Add a couple of drops of liquid soap to warm water for vinyl blinds for an effective cleaning solution.
- Run a dryer sheet over the slats to help eliminate static electricity that attracts dust.
- Set the wand in a cup to keep it handy while cleaning.
- Fold a towel lengthwise and place it under the blinds while cleaning the upper slats to catch drips.
Use a toothbrush to scrub spots and get into crevices.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cleaning Vertical Blinds
How often should I clean my vertical blinds?
For light dusting, clean vertical blinds about once a week. Plan to clean the slats thoroughly every 1-2 months for a deeper clean. Areas with more dirt or dust may need cleaning more frequently.
Can I clean vinyl vertical blinds in the washing machine?
It’s not recommended. A washing machine’s agitation can damage the vinyl slats and warp their shape. For best results, wipe them down manually using mild detergent and water.
What is the easiest way to clean aluminum vertical blinds?
Aluminum vertical blinds are easy to keep clean. Simply wipe down each slat gently using a microfiber cloth, soft sponge, or chamois dampened with water and a small amount of mild detergent. Avoid harsh cleaners, which can damage the aluminum over time.
Cleaning Vertical Blinds Won’t Feel Like A Chore if Done Properly
Cleaning vertical blinds regularly is important for functionality, longevity, and aesthetics. While it may seem daunting, it can be quick and simple.
The key steps are vacuuming, dusting, and damp wiping the slats every 1-2 months. Use the right tools like a vacuum brush, microfiber cloth, mild detergent, and a wand to realign. Adjust your approach slightly based on the slat material. Spot clean stubborn stains as needed.
Maintenance like weekly dusting and changing filters will minimize buildup between deep cleans. Following a regular schedule and using efficient techniques allows you to keep your vertical blinds looking pristine with little time and effort.
Clean blinds enhance any space, whether you opt for a DIY approach or professional service. They optimize the natural light in your home, provide crisp, clean lines, and reduce allergens and dust. Properly caring for your vertical blinds supports their functionality and extends their lifespan.
Trust the professionals at Window Expressions for beautifully styled vertical blinds expertly installed in your Maryland home or office. Their selection, service, and support make enhancing your space with this classic treatment easy and enjoyable.